Greetings Middle School Families,
Welcome to the 2016–17 school year. We are very proud of the work we did as an educational community last year, and we know we will raise the bar even higher this school year. The 2016-2017 school year promises to bring new experiences, challenges, and growth for each of our students! Although our academic programs have remained the same for the coming school year, we have surely done plenty of work to strengthen them.
Here are some highlights of what we have accomplished this summer:
- We have added Spanish in grades 4 and 5. We now have Spanish instruction in grades 4-8!
- We relocated Grade 4 to the upstairs wing with Grade 5.
- We revamped the classroom environments in grades 4, 5 and 6.
- We expanded our Ashoken Center overnight experience to grades 5/6 and expanded it from one to two nights.
- We added a rock-climbing wall to our gym and a new unit to our PE curriculum.
- We installed new outdoor playground equipment suitable for Grades 4-8
- We expanded our Project Lead the Way instructional space, and have plans to make this the greatest engineering space in the Hudson Valley.
Student Accountability- please refer to the GWLMS Student Handbook & District Code of Conduct for more information:
- Eligibility: In an effort to increase student accountability, the middle school faculty and administration have re-written our academic and field trip eligibility guidelines. The guidelines address academic, behavioral and attendance expectations necessary to participate in modified sports, MS clubs as well as attend grade level field trips.
- Retention: We have articulated retention guidelines for our students in grades 4-8.
- Chrome Book Policy Revision: We have included language in our Code of Conduct that will hold students accountable for using school property inappropriately after school hours.
School Schedule – Please Note the New Arrival Time
- 7:50 – Student Arrival
- 7:55 – 2:30 – Instructional Day
- 2:30 – Dismissal
- 2:30 – 3:05 – Extra help (arrange with classroom teacher)
- 2:30 - 3:50 – Clubs and athletic practice
Activity Buses: 3:05 & 3:50
We hope that you have enjoyed your summer with friends and family. We look forward to seeing you very soon. Please feel free to reach out to me if you have any questions or concerns.
Matthew Lawrence, Ed.D.