The Greenwood Lake Union Free School District is committed to providing a safe and efficient transportation program. Our buses travel 1345 miles each day to transport our 720 students to the Greenwood Lake Elementary School, the Greenwood Lake Middle School, The Warwick Valley High School, Chester Academy, Orange Ulster BOCES, Rockland BOCES and several other private schools.
To insure the safety of all of our students, please read our Bus Safety rules below and check out our links on the left to view a diagram of the Bus Safety Zone. Please go over this diagram with your child.
Danger Zones are all the areas around the bus where the Bus Driver is unable to see you. It is of utmost importance that students are aware of these zones and abide by their Bus Driver's crossing instruction when getting on and off the bus.
Boarding the Bus
- Arrive at the bus stop five minutes before your designated stop time.
- Wait for the bus in a safe, visible area off the road.
- Wait for the bus to come to a complete stop.
- Wait for the driver to signal you to board the bus.
- Look both ways before crossing the road.
- Use the handrail when entering the bus.
- Go directly to your seat and sit down.
- Follow the driver's instructions at all times.
When you get off the bus
- Stay seated until the bus comes to a complete stop.
- Use the handrail when exiting the bus.
- Before you exit the bus, look to the rear of the bus before you step off the bottom step and make sure a motorist is not coming down the right hand side of the bus.
- Take five giant steps straight out of the bus door and out of the danger zone.
- Make sure you have eye contact with the bus driver and wait for the driver to signal you before you cross in front of the bus. Walk across the road - do not run.
- NEVER go back for anything you have left on the bus and never bend down near or under the bus.